DIY: Dresser Makeover

February 06, 2016  •  1 Comment

 

With just two weeks left until my due date, I *think* I have finally gotten everything ready for Ellie’s arrival! My most recent project was refinishing an old dresser that is going to be used as a changing table in the nursery.

 

 

Supplies I used:

  • 1 pint of Zinsser primer for all surface types
  • 1 pint of white satin interior paint
  • Foam roller for smooth surfaces
  • Sandpaper (Medium and Very Fine grade)
  • New Knobs
  • Wood Filler

 

 The dresser has been sitting in my parents basement for at least 20 years. It’s very well built but it needed a little attention to bring it up to date!

 

I cleaned off the dresser with a damp rag and removed all of the knobs. The finish had chipped and was a little rough were the knob holes were, so I started sanding them. I used the medium grain sandpaper first, then the fine paper..  I didn't worry about sanding with the grain because the "grain" was fake on this dresser.

 

 

Once I had all of the drawers sanded smooth, I used Elmer's Woodfiller to fill in all of the holes and chips.

 

Once the wood filler had dried, I took the drawers out to the garage to start priming them!

I used Zinsser Primer for All Surfaces and it worked great! The top of the dresser was my biggest worry because it had a thick plastic layer and I wasn't sure that I would get the paint to stick.. This stuff worked magic! 

I applied 3 coats of the primer to the drawers

 

Next, I primed the dresser with 3 coats. I used the Foam roller to ensure I would get a smooth finish. I didn't really want brush strokes all over the dresser. 

 

 

Once everything was primed, it was time to paint! I used white Color Place Grab N Go Satin Interior Paint from Walmart. I didn't want to spend a lot on paint for this project and this was my cheapest option ($8/pint). I applied two coats and it worked perfectly!

 

 

 

Tyler helped me measure and drill the holes for the new knobs... (He actually did it all himself, I just watched)

 

 

It was painful for him to stop in the middle of working for a picture... After a few grumpy faces, I finally got a smile! :)

 

 

 

 

And here it is finished! I am really happy with how it turned out! Eventually I may add a clear coat of some sort to help protect the paint, but for now it's complete! 

 

 

 


Comments

Jennifer(non-registered)
You (and Tyler :) ) did a great job refinishing the dresser. I'm sure it will be used for a long time!
No comments posted.
Loading...